Awards and Honors
21. UW Excellence Award in Global Engagement, 2023
20. Fellow, Environmental and Water Resources Institute, American Society of Civil Engineers, 2022
19. Fellow, American Meteorological Society, 2022
18. John R. Kiely Endowed Professorship, 2021-2025
17. 2021 Best Case Study Award for ASCE Journal of Hydrologic Engineering, ASCE EWRI, 2021
16. International Award by American Geophysical Union (AGU), 2020
15. Outstanding Achievement Award [for Excellence in Task Committee Vision and Leadership], ASCE EWRI, 2018
14. Outstanding Reviewer, Environmental Research Letters – 2016
13. Walter L Huber Award, American Society of Civil Engineers, 2015.
12. American Meteorological Society Editor’s Award, American Meteorological Society, 2014.
11. Charles Falkenberg Award, American Geophysical Union, 2012.
10. Graduate Of the Last Decade (G.O.L.D) Award, University of Connecticut, 2012.
9. Caplenor Award (University’s Highest Award), Tennessee Technological University, 2012.
8. Fulbright Faculty Award, 2012-2013.
7. Outstanding Reviewer Award – Journal of Hydrologic Engineering, American Society of Civil Engineers, 2011.
6. National Education Excellence Award (to SASWE Research Group), National Association of Environmental Professionals, April, 2010.
5. Outstanding New Faculty Research Award, American Society of Engineering Education, Southeast Section, 2009.
4. ‘Top Performer’ ranking by NSF Alan T. Waterman Award Committee, (Among top 35% of all nation-wide nominees across all disciplines), 2009, 2010.
3. NASA New Investigator Award, 2008.
2. Outstanding PhD Thesis Award, School of Engineering, University of Connecticut, 2005.
1. NASA Earth System Science Fellowship, USA, 2002.
5. Seattle Tech Doc Film Festival-2018 Selection for “Cotton Fields from the Ivory Tower,” 2018
4. Tasveer South Asian Film Festival-2017 Selection for “Cotton Fields from the Ivory Tower,” 2017
3. 11th Eco-Film Festival (Malaysia)- 2017 Selection for “Cotton Fields from the Ivory Tower,” 2017
2. Best Film – Community for “Cotton Fields from the Ivory Tower” at UW Makers Summit, 2017.
1. 9th Eco-Film Festival Short Documentary Selection-2015, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, 2015.
77. [AWRA IMPACT] Tracking Flood Volume Changes in the Developing World, Nov/Dec Issue, Vol 24(6), 2022.
76. [Circle of Blue] New Satellite Will See Water’s Big Picture
75. [NASA Earthdata] Satellites and Citizen Scientists Help Track Water in Bangladesh
73. [Washington Post] Dams alter river temperatures and endanger fish, yet 3,700 more will be built
72. [UW] Satellite System Success
71. [Arab News] The Battle for the Nile
70. [International Water Power and Dam Construction] The Hot and Cold of Current and Future Hydropower Dams
69. [NASA] – Fine-Tuning Irrigation in Asia
67. [UW News] – Secret Lives of Scientists, Engineers and Doctors.
66. [ArcGIS StoryMaps] – Satellite Data Empowers Farmers
65. [BBC] Digital Planet on PANI Irrigation Advisory [fast forward to 21:10 minutes]
64. [NASA] SWOT Virtual Early Adopter Hackathon [organized by SASWE Research Group]
63. [NASA] Guiding Farmers with NASA Satellites
62. [NASA] Satellite Data Empowers Farmers in India
61. [NASA] Celebrating Earth Day with GPM
59. [USAID Agrilinks Blog] Improving Irrigation Services for Marginal Farmers in India
58. [AWRA IMPACT] Towards Affordable and Sustainable Water-Smart Irrigation Services
57. [UW News] Hydropower dams cool rivers in the Mekong River basin, satellites show
56. [International Waterpower and Dam Construction Magazine] Generating more hydropower with less dams and better ecosystem outcomes: is it possible?
55. [UW Immersive Story] Fueled by Floods.
51. [Future of Farming] Future of Farming
50. [Science News for Students] Science on a Shoe-string
49. [AWRA IMPACT] Generating more Hydropower Using Weather Forecasts
48. [NASA Feature] Before the Flood Arrives’
47. [UW Today] UW project seeks sustainable blueprint for hydropower dams Click for UW Today feature on Mekong
46. [The ThirdPole] Satellites and SMS help Pakistan’s farmers with smart irrigation Click for ThirdPole feature
45. [Voice of America] Pakistani Farmers get Tips via Text Click for VoA feature
44. [SHOMOY TV] National TV coverage on Advanced Satellite-based flood forecasting Click for SHOMOY TV video clip
43. [AGU EOS] Growing More with Less using Satellites and Cellphones Click for EOS feature
42. [KING 5 TV] Satellite-Based Irrigation Advisory System Helps Pakistani Farmers Stay Above Water Click for KING 5 TV
41. [UW Today – Engineering] NASA Data used to Track Groundwater in Pakistan Click for feature
40. [Front page on JPL-Caltech] NASA Data used to Track Groundwater in Pakistan Click for feature
39. [Front page on NASA.GOV] NASA Data used to Track Groundwater in Pakistan Click for feature
38. Pakistan Water Resources Management Looking up Click for feature
37. Data for All: Using Satellite Data for Social Good – EOS Magazine Click for feature
36. Satellite Data Saving Lives – USAID Front Line Magazine Click for feature
35. UW Workshop aims to marry NASA data with earthly needs. Click for feature
34. WWW.NASA.GOV Feature on March 9 2015. Click for feature
33. Satellites hold secrets to remote rivers. Click for feature
31. SERVIR designed flood forecasting system proving itself. Click for feature
30. A Two-way Street – International Water Power and Dam Construction Magazine, November 2012 Issue. Click for feature
29. Dam-Reliant City Infrastructure – Civil Engineering Magazine, December 2012 Issue. Click for feature
28. Building Our future – Global Change Vol. 78 (March 2012). Click for feature
27. How Dams kick up a storm – Huffington Post. Click for feature
26. TTU Professor presents research to Congress. Click here for details
25. Congressional Visit by Dr. Hossain on 5/26/11 to discuss changes required for dam operations by USBR, Corps and TVA in the coming decades for more resilience against climate and other threats- Natural Resources Committee – Water and Power Subcommittee.
23. Earth Magazine, May 2011 Issue; Nature Magazine – March 2011 Issue: SASWE-led research on impact of dams featured on on local climate cited prominently.
22. Large dams can affect local climates, says new study., Feb 9, 2011, on CIRES-Colorado University Click here for details
21. Using Satellites to Track Water June 29, 2010 on Educator Profile on NASA.GOV, Click for link
20. Will this Dam Self-destruct? June, 2010 on Conservation Magazine, vol. 11(2) Click for link
19. TTU Professor selected for Groundbreaking Project May 20, 2010 on Herald-Citizen Click for link
18. NASA Blog Feature March 10, 2010 on “What on Earth” Click for link
17. Live BBC interview on the “Naked Scientist Show”. Click for podcast
16. National Geographic Feb 4, 2010, Dams Trigger Stronger Storms, Study Suggests
15. Newsweek Dec 29, 2009, The Lake Effect.
14. Radio Interview on DeutsclandFunk, Germany Dec 16, 2009, Interview by Dagmar Rohrlick
13. New Scientist Dec 16, 2009, Dams linked to More Extreme Weather.
12. WPTF Raleigh-North Carolina Live Radio, Dec 6, 2009. Morning Show with Scott Fitzgerald
11. Wired.com Dec 3, 2009, Dams Could Alter Local Weather, Cause More Rain
10. Fox news Dec 3, 2009, Have Large Dams Altered Extreme Precipitation?
9. EOS (AGU) Dec 1, 2009, Have Large Dams Altered Extreme Precipitation?.(Media interviews with syndicated reporters from MSNBC, National Geographic, New Scientist, Fox News and Wired.com).
8. PBS-WCTE (Tennessee), Jan 17, 2007, TV Inteview for TTU Perspectives.
7. EOS (AGU), Front Page Feature, Jan 31, 2006. Improving Flood Forecasting in International River Basins.
6. EOS (AGU), News Feature, Jan 17, 2006. Studies Examine Bangladesh Arsenic Contamination Problem.
5. Herald-Citizen (Cookeville, Tennessee), Sunday Reader, Jan 8, 2006. TTU Professor seeks answers to Water-quality crisis.
4. Newswise, Dec 2, 2005. Researcher Urgently Working to Save Millions from Arsenic Poisoning.
3. Newswise , Sept 7, 2005, Space-borne Monitoring could Save Lives, Mitigate Dangers.
2. The Virginia Engineer , October, 2005, Monitoring Rainfall from Space.
1. The Strait Times , Singapore, March 12, 2003, Reaching for the Stars.